September 05, 2004

A little less nicer

I wonder if I am getting too skeptical and demanding these days. If I am giving less room for mistakes. If it has, ironically, anything to do with my occupation.

Ask anyone who knows me long enough. I've always been a (hate to use tis word, but) nice, patient, agreeable and easy-going girl. I always try to make life that bit more bearable for other people.

Not anymore. I think.

Example. In the past, I would put up with bad service, thinking that 'oh well, they're also doing their best at their job, no need to be so harsh with people'. Now, I tell the unlucky waiter/waitress, with a straight face, to waive the service charge cos I'm not going to pay for something I didn't get.

Example. In the past, I would do almost any roadside survey as long as they ask me politely. Even when I had to decline, I... Actually, I rarely decline. Cos it was like 'oh well, it's tough to do all these under the hot sun too. Besides, I have time.' Now, I ask what the survey is about and if it's something I see no point in helping, I tell the unlucky one that I've done countless of these surveys and am not interested in doing one more. Then, I walk away.

Eug said it's cos I'm steely. And I almost strangled Laifa when he insisted that I look meek and am probably meek (and he added that's probably why it's not difficult to imagine me as a teacher). I think I must be extremely 'nice' to him by not asking him to just F*** off. Don't mention it, dear.

Any idea who has the most contact with the little monsters that our time now is seeing? Teachers are the last group of people one should associate with being meek.

'Nice' is a bad word, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 03:26